Wednesday, April 26, 2017

What I've Read

What I've Read- Teaching Arguments by Jennifer Fletcher

     This book taught me how to look at writing and how I can present it to my future students. The first lesson it taught me was that as a teacher of writing, I need to be able to show my students why we should right. What purposes are there for writing? Why should we pick up the pen and start? The book also explains concepts very clearly. An example of this would be how the book describes logos. That is a concept I have previously gone over before when I took AP Language and Composition in high school, but I feel Jennifer Fletcher explained it more clearly when she says that logos has to due with "the text", rather than simply describing it as evidence. How is text used by an author for an effect?

        "Teaching Arguments" also includes many great activity examples that teachers could incorporate into their lessons. Below are two examples-

“Directions to Students: Write a three- to four-page essay in which you identify, explore, and analyze your participation in an argument. By argument is meant a verbal or written exchange with one or more other person(s) in which you disagreed about something. This should be a situation in which you and the other participant(s) considered the outcome important (not an argument where you had little at stake, such as an argument about ice cream flavors), and you were both emotionally engaged.

     I like this activity suggestion because it analyzes purposeful, real-life discussions and provides opportunities to examine them through writing. I would consider using this activity in my class. I believe my students would take interest in it.

“Translating for Outsiders
Directions to Students: Think of a subject that makes you feel like an expert, or insider. This might be your favorite sport, a style of music, a video game, anime, graphic novels, a hobby, a job, or “digitalk,” like texting. Then use special “insider language” to express each of the ideas in the following chart. Feel free to use slang, dialect, emoticons, abbreviations, or jargon to express your ideas. Then translate exactly what your insider language means for an outside audience in the final column.

What subject are you an “expert” on?”

      Every student has something they are good at or knowledgeable about. We as educators often talk about promoting the diverse strengths of our students. This activity is an excellent chance to do just that. They can write about what they are interested in and become "teachers" of their areas.



Fletcher, J. (2015). “Teaching Arguments.” Portland, ME. Stenhouse Publishers

   

No comments:

Post a Comment