Sunday, January 22, 2017

Hello...

Greetings

My name is Tyler Buddington. I'm 25 and live over in Rockledge, Fl. I recieved my undergraduate degree in Criminal Justice at the University of West Florida in Pensacola. For senior year at UWF, I decided to do something I had always wanted to do- to study abroad and become an exchange student. I studied for two academic semesters in Taiwan before graduating at UWF. 




Afterwards, I went back to Taiwan for a second time to teach English for over a year and it was that experience that opened my eyes to what I was I wanted to do with my life- be a teacher. 




If you asked me three years ago if I had ever considered being a teacher, I would have looked at you as if you had five heads. Now I am here with you all at UCF in the MAT- Secondary English Language Arts graduate program. My goal is to teach ESOL at a high school or middle school. I speak, read, and write conversational Mandarin and I am trying to learn Spanish. In my free time I enjoy running, swimming, and cycling as well as hanging out with my friends and family. I look forward to learning in this class with you all.

7 comments:

  1. Such great experiences you will bring to our class! I can't wait to learn more about your ESOl teaching experience! Thanks for sharing! I liked how you integrated images to tell your story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tyler! I didn't know you were in this class too. Yay! I taught ESL abroad too and had similar experiences. When I decided to make a career change, that experience is what led me into choosing the MAT program as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Tyler, I went to UWF in Pensacola too for a year and a half before moving back down this way. That's awesome that you were able to visit and teach in Taiwan. My goal is to teach English overseas too and I am aiming to head to South Korea in 2018.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, Criminal Justice to Education! What a change. However, I honestly believe that you should find an occupation that involves what you are most passionate about, and it sounds as if you found that when you were teaching in Taiwan. I am extremely jealous of your opportunity to study abroad, and the experiences you must have had. I hope to hear more about them in future posts!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, Criminal Justice to Education! What a change. However, I honestly believe that you should find an occupation that involves what you are most passionate about, and it sounds as if you found that when you were teaching in Taiwan. I am extremely jealous of your opportunity to study abroad, and the experiences you must have had. I hope to hear more about them in future posts!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Taiwan seems so cool! I wonder how the food was. Anything you'd recommend?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Tyler,
    this is a really interesting introduction! It's so cool that you were able to spend time over in Taiwan and find something you didn't know you were passionate about. Most people, myself included, have never done anything even remotely similar. I would definitely love to hear more about what had caused you to dramatically change your path like that!! It's cool you're bilingual, I'm trying to learn French but it's a struggle hahah.

    ReplyDelete